By Janon Fisher (NY Daily News)
July 7, 2012
A new challenger to Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes for the 2013 election launched his candidacy Friday by ripping into the incumbent for running an “ineffective” office and failing to protect borough children.
“He’s actually harming people,” said Abraham George, 33, who until last month was an assistant district attorney with the Manhattan DA’s office. “There are children who are being harmed because he runs a political office. I’m not going to stand around when I know I can do something about it.”
George was referring to claims the DA’s office has taken a kid-glove approach to prosecuting child molesters in the the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community. Hynes has been accused of pandering to the Jewish vote by refusing to release the names of some of those charged with molestation because he said it would allow the victims to be identified.
The insurgent candidate said he wants to go after those in the Hasidic community who intimidate witnesses and allow molestation to go unpunished.
Hynes, 77, who has been in office since 1989, would not comment on George’s run, but he said through a spokesman that he would be running for reelection next year.
A Brooklyn native, George spent the last eight years as an assistant prosecutor. He’s made some bold promises to fix the problems he sees in the DA’s office, starting with the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk policy.
A graduate of Hofstra University Law School, George, whose parents are both immigrants from India, grew up in Sheepshead Bay and now lives in Williamsburg.