12 more join $380 million molestation suit against Yeshiva University High School

By Thomas Tracy (NY Daily News)
August 7, 2013

A dozen former Yeshiva University High School students have joined a bombshell $380 million lawsuit, claiming they were molested by staffers, an attorney for the plaintiffs said Tuesday.

The number of alleged victims in the suit against the prestigious Manhattan school now stands at 31 — up from the initial 19, said attorney Kevin Mulhearn.

Former students said in the initial claim filed last month that officials covered up decades of sexual abuse by Rabbi George Finkelstein, the school’s former principal, and Rabbi Macy Gordon, a former Judaic studies teacher. The accusers come from all over the country and at least one was abused in the early 1970s, Mulhearn said.

Attorneys for Yeshiva University asked the court to dismiss the suit because the allegations “occurred between 42 and 25 years ago.”

“In all candor (the suit), is a very old case,” defense attorney Karen Bitar told Manhattan Federal Court Judge John Koeltl on Tuesday.